List of Illustrations
Preface by Monica Juneja Acknowledgements
Introduction: Barefoot across India: An Artist and his
2. Modernist Myths and the Exile of Maqbool Fida Husain
3. Art on Trial: Civilization and Religion in the Persona
and Painting of M. F. Husain David Gilmartin and Barbara D.
India after Husain Sumathi Ramaswamy
5. Secret Histories of Indian Modernism: M. F. Husain as
Indian Muslim Artist Ananya Jahanara Kabir
6. Of M. F.
Husain and an Impossible Love Veena Das
7. ‘I am an Indian and a painter, that is all’: Intention
and the Secular Subject in Contemporary India Karin Zitzewitz
8. Defending Husain in the Public Sphere: The SAHMAT
Experience Ram Rahman
9. Fault-lines in a National Edifice: On the Rights and
Offences of Contemporary Indian Art Tapati Guha-Thakurta
10. Taking and
Making Offence: Husain and the Politics of Desecration Kajri Jain
11. The Bliss of Madhuri: Husain and his Muse Patricia
from Across the Globe: The Art of M. F. Husain Susan S. Bean
13. A Metaphysical Secularist? Decoding M.F. Husain as a
Muslim Painter in Exile
Bruce B. Lawrence.